You are here
Latest News Sports 

Riyad Mahrez remains at Leicester despite being released from Algeria squad

Riyad Mahrez remained a Leicester City player on deadline day, despite being allowed to leave the Algeria squad to “formalise” a move away from the Foxes.


Roma, who have ended their interest in Mahrez, had three bids rejected after he expressed his desire to leave the 2015-16 Premier League champions.

A move to Barcelona is still viable for the winger, with the Spanish deadline not closing until midnight on Friday.

Manchester United and Chelsea were also interested in the 26-year-old.

The Algerian Football Federation (FAF) said Mahrez had been given permission to miss training to agree a deal before the transfer deadline.

A statement from the FAF said Mahrez “was authorised by the national coach Lucas Alcaraz and the Algerian Football Federation to make an express trip to Europe to formalise on Thursday his transfer to his new club.

“The national team will fly without him on Thursday morning to Lusaka to face Zambia on Saturday.”

Mahrez was named the PFA Player of the Year after playing a key part in Leicester’s title-winning season.

He has featured in all three of the Foxes’ Premier League fixtures so far this term.

Leicester midfielder Nampalys Mendy, 25, has joined former side Nice on a season-long loan.

Mendy has made nine appearances since joining the Foxes a year ago, suffering an ankle injury soon after his arrival, and last appeared as a substitute in a 4-1 EFL Cup victory away to Sheffield United on 22 August.

Related posts

Leave a Comment