- Palma in Mozambique remains “traumatised”
six weeks after a jihadist attack that forced residents to flee.
- Many people still feel unsafe and are leaving the
area daily, heading for Pemba in boats and on foot.
- Two weeks ago, a resident who had returned to his
home after fleeing the attack was found beheaded.
Maputo – Six weeks after it was raided by Islamic
State (ISIS)-linked fighters, the northern Mozambican town of Palma remains
deeply traumatised and hundreds of its residents flee each day, survivors and
aid workers say.
The jihadists swooped on the coastal town on 24 March,
killing dozens of people and triggering an exodus that included workers on a
multibillion-dollar liquefied natural gas (LNG) project.
The raids marked a major intensification in an
insurgency that has wreaked havoc across Cabo Delgado province for over three
years as the militants seek to establish a caliphate.
The violence pushed France’s Total to suspend work
on the nearby LNG scheme, one of Africa’s largest. The dead include several
expatriate oil workers.
After days of fighting, the government said its
forces had driven out the extremists and that calm had returned.
But many people still feel unsafe and are leaving
In recent days, hundreds have landed in the
provincial capital Pemba on privately organised rescue boats, a volunteer
registering the displaced told AFP.
Viaze Juma, 34, a mother of four, arrived on Friday
from Afungi, a peninsula near the heavily-guarded gas plant and 5km south of
Palma, where thousands sought refuge during the attack.
“It’s good that now I’m out of Palma. I’m safe
but my house was burned down,” she told AFP.
On the day Juma made it to Pemba, the United
Nations announced that the number of internally displaced persons (IDPs) had
breached the 30 000 mark.
Four days later, on Tuesday, that number had shot
to 36 288 – almost half of Palma’s 75 000 inhabitants.
Further inland, in Mueda and Nangade, up to 40
families arrive each day on foot, aid workers say.
The true picture of the security situation in Palma
Although cellphone communications and electricity –
cut off on the day of the attack – have been restored, access to the town is
still restricted for both the media and humanitarian organisations.
But the flight of tens of thousands of civilians in
a month-and-a-half – 6 000 of them in less than a week – shows that order has
not yet been fully restored.
“The situation in Palma is very unstable,
(with) shooting at night,” said an aid worker in Mueda, around 180km
southwest of Palma.
The worker, who asked
not to be named, added:
It’s a place where you cannot sleep thinking you are going to wake up with no problems.
Two weeks ago, a resident who had returned to his
home after fleeing the attack was found beheaded, local police said.
A Pemba resident, Issa Mohamede, told AFP his
relatives in Palma confirmed night time “shootings and (that) some houses
were seen burning in Malamba neighbourhood” late last month.
‘People don’t feel safe’
“It is clear the situation is volatile”
in Palma, said a Pemba-based aid worker, adding that “the reason people
are still fleeing is because things are not okay, people are still trying to
The number of IDPs “continues to increase by
the day”, said Mozambique chief of mission for the International Organisation
for Migration (IOM), Laura Tomm-Bonde.
IOM global emergency director Jeff Labovitz, who
visited Mozambique last week, told AFP that “when people choose to leave
their house it’s for big reasons, they don’t feel secure”.
People wait for their relatives and friends to arrive in Pemba on 1 April 2021, from the boat of evacuees from the coasts of Palma.
Further inland a transit camp in Nangade is still
receiving dozens of displaced each day.
“People are still arriving,” said Doctors
Without Borders field worker Aitor Zabalgogeazkoa.
The charity is registering between 80 and 100
displaced people per day who speak of “quite a lot of people still
coming”, he added.
refugee agency UNHCR said in a statement last week:
With only a few evacuation routes remaining open, we are worried for those who are unable to leave the area.
At least 454 unaccompanied children have been found
among the escapees, said Chance Briggs, country director of Save the Children
Prior to the March attack, there were already close
to 700 000 people uprooted from their homes in the vast and poor Cabo Delgado
Receiving a $100 million World Bank grant last week
for infrastructural projects, President Filipe Nyusi vowed to “restore
normalcy” and end the “barbaric”, “malicious” terror
Maputo-based security expert Calton Cadeado, who
closely monitors the Cabo Delgado crisis, said the military-patrolled downtown
Palma was relatively calm, but that the town’s fringes remained
There are fears that the end of Ramadaan in mid-May
could see a resurgence in attacks, analysts say.